Earned Paid Leave Updates
The Maine Department of Labor recently released its final rules outlining the specifics of the Maine Earned Paid Leave Law. Specific details can be found at: https://www.maine.gov/labor/docs/2020/laborlaws/EarnedPaidLeaveRuleFinalClean.pdf and https://www.maine.gov/labor/labor_laws/earnedpaidleave/
This will be difficult for many small businesses in the Oxford Hills and around the state of Maine. It will actually have an effect on a businesses budget where the extra week of earned pay will have to be factored in. On top of that we have yet another minimum wage increase that will go into effect on the same day that this law becomes effective, as well as any higher unemployment taxes that may result from the recent drain on the Unemployment Insurance Trust Fund.
- Effective January 1, 2021
- Includes all industries except for seasonal as defined by 26 M.R.S subsection 1251 for employers with more than 10 employees in Maine for more than 120 days in any calendar year.
- Includes all employees-full-time, part-time, temporary, per diem, etc.
- Employees accrue 1 hour of earned time for every 40 hours worked, up to 40 hours in a defined year.
- Employees can carry over up to 40 hours from one defined year to the next.
- Salaried employees are presumed to work 40 hours per week.
- Employees can use their accrued earned paid leave fore any reason, such as emergency, illness, sudden necessity, planned vacation, etc.
Call the Chamber at 207-743-2281 in Oxford Hills or Peter Gore at the Maine State Chamber at 207-623-4568, ext. 107 for more information.